St. Mary's 125th Anniversary
St. Mary's Anglican Guild
Picture taken at Mrs. Hubert Cochrane's - Rev. W.B. Morgan - 1920-1927
Children seated: Jean Ronan, Jean Loucks, Florence MacDonald, Clare Cochrane, Margaret Loucks, ?, Jean Tweed, Gertrude Carscadden, Bert Morgan, ?
Ladies seated – 1st row – L to R: Violet Hawkins, Olive McCaffrey, Mabel McCaffrey (Young), Mrs. Hubert Cochrane (hostess), Mrs. Ernie Sutherland, Annie Britt
2nd row seated – L to R: Mrs. William Hayes, Mrs. James McShea, Mrs. Harry Carscadden, Mrs. Gertrude Carson and Edward, Mrs. Jessie Campbell
Top row – L to R: Mrs. Chester Loucks, Mrs. E.W.B. Richards, Margaret Kyle, Mrs. Hunt, Mrs. Henry Tweed, Mrs. Marcellus, Mrs. William McDonald, Mrs. William Kenny, Mrs. Beecham Scharfe, Mrs. Peter Campbell, Mrs. Eliza McKeown, Mrs. John Young, Mrs. Russell Dempsey, Mrs. Philip Proudfoot, Mrs. Nelson Ronan, Audrey Birmingham, Florence Young, Mrs. James Cochrane, Rev. W. B. Morgan
From the beginning, this church has been an integral part of Russell and its surrounding area – providing a focal point for church activities and bringing parishioners into important contact with people in the surrounding community who join us for classes, studies, presentations and dinners. Some of these groups over the years have included:
- Co-op Nursery School
- Senior Citizen’s Club
- Russell Association for the Performing Arts
- Boy Scouts
- Girl Guides
- Victoria’s Quilters
- Horticultural Society
- Home School’s
- The Women’s Institute
- Moms and Tots
- Bible Vacation School
St. Mary’s Church was the first in the community to recognize the needs of the handicapped and become wheelchair accessible and to install a wheelchair lift to make our basement available to a senior’s group.
** please note that due to aging technology, the wheelchair lift is currently nonfunctional.